Elementary News
• Celebrating Cultural Events
I started my teaching career in the suburbs of Chicago in the fall of 1978 with a class of 26 fourth graders. I can still remember many of the details about that first year with ‘my own’ class. (Those ‘children’ would be approaching 53 this year!) As a new teacher I had one early goal, which was more practical than aspirational. I wanted to survive to the first long weekend, Thanksgiving, feeling good about my chosen profession and most importantly my own performance. When I left school on that fourth Wednesday in November so many years ago I felt pretty happy about my career choice and was excited for a family get together. I was truly grateful for the four-day weekend and the fact that I’d be spoiled, especially through some great home cooking.
A form of Thanksgiving exists in many countries around the world. It almost always includes time off to celebrate an important achievement such as a successful harvest. Canada, for example, has their big celebration every October. In the elementary school we welcome the opportunity to feature cultural celebrations from around the world. Thanksgiving is a good example of how we can bring an appreciation for international traditions into the classroom. Discussing Thanksgiving afforded a great context to conversations about gratitude and for student writing about ‘things I am grateful for’.
On Wednesday the third, fourth and fifth grades captured the joy of the Thanksgiving tradition with a family meal including traditional turkey and pumpkin muffins. Teachers and students sat together, (with spatial distancing), to enjoy conversations and the wonderful food prepared by the amazing kitchen staff. Teachers joined in, both serving and sharing in the feast. Some parents made a lovely Thanksgiving video for all of the students to enjoy.
My favourite activity was a promotion of ‘Random Acts of Kindness’. I’ve included many of the third grade suggestions in this article because they demonstrate such thoughtful and substantial challenges.
Challenge Someone to:
• Give an unexpected compliment- C
• Write a thank you note to someone that has helped you - D and M
• Leave a post it note on someone’s desk with a reason why you appreciate them - L
• Send a message to a friend telling them how much you appreciate them -S
• Tell someone what it is you really like about them - H
• Find an inspirational quote for someone - T
• Let a friend borrow a book you think they will like - S
• Send a picture of you and your friend to them with a reason why they are such a great friend- F
• Compliment the first three people you talk to tomorrow - F
• Post 5 inspirational sticky notes around the school/ classroom - B and M
• Write a letter to a previous teacher telling them what you loved about their class. - N
• Compliment someone in your class to the teacher (someone that you wouldn’t usually do this for) - Z
• Write a list of things you are grateful for in school and show your teacher. - A
• Write a list of things you are grateful for and give it to your parents. - E
• Draw a picture of someone and write down some reasons why they are great!- J
• Write a letter of encouragement to someone you think might be having a hard time - S
• Spend a recess time with someone you wouldn’t usually play with. -J and A
• Make a card for Mrs Crimp congratulating her on her baby- E and A
• Make a thank you card and send it to someone you are grateful for. Tell them why you want to thank them. - D
• Tell Mr Newbury what you love best about your teacher- F
• Thank the people at the reception desk (in school) for what they do, let them know you appreciate them. - A
• Make a thank you card for the cleaners. Let them know you are grateful for what they do. – R
As this weekend approaches I’m committing to taking up some of the third grade challenges. (Thank you, L and F.) I’m also going to be full of appreciation for a special person in my life who is making a beautiful Thanksgiving family feast on Friday evening.
I hope all of our ISA families enjoy the long weekend. It’s our final break before the exciting rush of activities that characterise our school in December. Be sure to mark your calendars to attend the many special events listed on the Community Hub.
Don Newbury
Elementary Principal

Comments
Post a Comment