Welcome Back!
I am sure the break looked very different for many this year but I hope it was an opportunity for families to spend quality time together and for students to recharge their energy levels ahead of our second semester.
We return to Virtual School for the foreseeable future but this doesn't necessarily need to be regarded as being a wholly negative outcome. Studying from home will give parents more of an opportunity to engage with their child's learning and any conversations in between lessons can be used to encourage reflection that will ultimately cement understanding. Students who were with us last March and are familiar with our current set up will have greatly strengthened their abilities to manage their time and take more of a lead in how they learn. They have become effective at collaborating digitally with peers but also have the resilience to make good progress independently. These are skills that will stand them in good stead for the future.
We have made a small modification to the schedule we ran last Spring that affords more flexibility for teachers and students in the middle of the week. I mentioned to the students in my start of year message that ways of supporting their well-being included exercise, supporting others, developing new skills and working towards goals. I hope that students will use the current lock down as an opportunity to make their studies along with any personal projects a focus that will keep them motivated. We must not write off this period as simply lost time.

Comments
Post a Comment