Elementary News

‘Time to Travel, at Last!”

Dear Parents,

Do you miss travelling and hearing your children say, “Are we there yet?” It may seem an odd thing to want to hear again, but I’m guessing that’s a small annoyance that most parents would gladly put up with for the chance to get out and be with distant family and friends again. (Mrs. Newbury and I can’t wait to go visit our daughter in London!) In the morning assembly this week one fifth grader shared his story: "Time to Travel, at Last!” Finlay’s final sentence was “I’m glad the travel restrictions are over and I could have a great day with my family.”

In addition to catching up with family and friends, I hope each of our families can start using the end of travel restrictions in Scotland to help us make up for all of the missed opportunities we’ve lost as a school for field trips. Field Trips customarily play such a vital role in our school curriculum. Getting away from school for even part of a day gives students an opportunity to spend time with each other in a new environment. Most of our trips also develop a sense of community. On a trip students naturally chat, observe and learn about each other. Trips also foster a sense of teamwork, besides building up memorable experiences and deep knowledge of various aspects in life. Students witness new things, learn about new environments and immerse themselves in authentic experiences. Teachers can’t wait to get back to having these educational trips in the fall. 

Before the end of this year many classes are hoping to plan a day out of school. Look out for further news from the classroom teachers. In the meantime I hope families can use this mini May Day holiday to do some sightseeing. 

The National Trust for Scotland is a great place to start your planning.  The Trust has organised its website according to the ‘time to destination’ from a particular postcode. Crathes, along with Drum and Fraser Castles, are, for example, within 30 minutes of our school. The National Trust describes them as locations ‘On Your Doorstep’. The best news of all is that these attractions are finally opening up on April 30! Further spots, under an hour, such as Haddo House, are places to ‘Pack a Picnic’ according to the National Trust. Whether you consider these sights or something else, such as a forest walk or a Munro, I hope the weekend brings lots of family fun and time out of the house. 

Please check out the website for further details on the National Trust:

Kind regards,
Don Newbury
Elementary Principal

Comments