Elementary News





Art & Writing Fair
I started a diet recently as part of a long overdue reaction to snack overload during lockdown. To satisfy a desire for a biscuit with my tea I recently purchased one brand of Rich Tea that promised ‘great taste at reduced calories.’ As I dipped a plain biscuit into my tea I anticipated a sweet flavoured treat. The taste I enjoyed was good, but not as satisfying as the regular brand I’m used to eating.

Next week the elementary school is holding an Art and Writing Fair. It doesn’t include an Open House evening, but through the tremendous effort of our teaching staff, will offer a number of opportunities to share student work, both within the school and to a lesser degree with parents. We are happy to enjoy a ‘taste’ of student work, even if it’s not as ‘sweet’ as coming together in person. I hope as parents you can take the time to look through the websites created to read and look at student writing and art across all grades.

Three 5th Grade Adventure Days
“You only live once!” two girls shouted on Wednesday as they rushed together into a stream of puddles along the paths at Glen Tanner on Wednesday. The estate near Aboyne was alive with rushing streams and a fast flowing river after an especially heavy rainfall. The fifth graders arrived at 10am just when the downpour stopped, but not before the flash floods. The children were bursting with energy and throughout the day enjoyed studying nature, building homes and dams and being with each other as they hiked throughout the vast grounds of Glen Tanner. 

On Thursday the fifth graders divided their day between canoeing at Knockburn Loch and climbing with abseiling in Ballater. The canoe trip led to some great water contests and for most a swim in the ‘refreshing’ water. The climbers all claimed pride in overcoming some tough challenges, including abseiling off a cliff edge that was in the words of many students, “SCARY!” 

On Friday the fifth graders went to Balmedie Beach, and completed a third day of adventure, a comprehensive experience that should have long lasting memories for every child. Many thanks to the wonderful staff of the Abernethy Trust and to Graham Brace, Lucy Thompson and Ian Williamson for their tireless efforts to navigate so many details and health and safety precautions to make this ambitious plan come together so successfully.  

Comments