• Celebrating Cultural Events
I started my teaching career in the suburbs of Chicago in the fall of 1978 with a class of 26 fourth graders. I can still remember many of the details about that first year with ‘my own’ class. (Those ‘children’ would be approaching 54 this year!) As a new teacher I had one early goal, which was more practical than aspirational. I wanted to survive to the first long weekend, Thanksgiving, feeling good about my chosen profession and most importantly my own performance. When I left school on that fourth Wednesday in November so many years ago I felt pretty happy about my career choice and was excited for a family get together. I was truly grateful for the four-day weekend and the fact that I’d be spoiled, especially through some great home cooking.
A form of Thanksgiving exists in many countries around the world. It almost always includes time off to celebrate an important achievement such as a successful harvest. Canada, for example, has their big celebration every October. In the elementary school we welcome the opportunity to feature cultural celebrations from around the world. Thanksgiving is a good example of how we can bring an appreciation for international traditions into the classroom. Discussing Thanksgiving afforded a great context to conversations about gratitude and for student writing about ‘things I am grateful for’.
On Thursday the third, fourth and fifth grade captured the joy of the Thanksgiving tradition with a family meal including traditional turkey, roast potatoes and vegetables. Teachers and students sat together, (with spatial distancing), to enjoy conversations and the wonderful food prepared by the amazing kitchen staff. Teachers joined in, both serving and sharing in the feast. Some parents also shared the celebrations in the classrooms.
My favourite activity was a promotion of ‘Random Acts of Kindness’. I’ve included many of the student suggestions in this article because they demonstrate such thoughtful and substantial challenges.
Challenge Someone to:
• Say hello to 4 random people in the morning
• Compliment your teacher for helping you to learn
• Hold the door open for someone
• Ask someone new to play with you
• With permission hug someone who is sad or lonely
• Make ten people smile by saying something kind
• Tell an inspirational poem
• Thank the school cleaners for giving us a safe and tidy place to come to each day
• Thank the people at the reception desk (in school) for what they do, let them know you appreciate them
• Help calm someone who seems stressed
• Cheer someone up by telling a joke
• Be surprising and show kindness, especially to those who might not expect a compliment
• When someone is struggling offer to help
• Write a thank you note to someone who said or did something nice to you
• Write a letter to a member of your family telling them how much you love them
• Clean up after yourself so someone else doesn’t do your job
• Tell your friend why you appreciate their friendship
• Sit with someone new at lunch
• Say thank you, good morning or ‘Hi’ to the bus drivers when you see them.
• If someone is sad or lonely show empathy and include them in your life
As this weekend approaches I’m committing to take up some of the challenges. I’m also going to be full of appreciation for a special person in my life who is making a beautiful Thanksgiving feast for our family.
I hope all of our ISA families enjoy the long weekend. It’s our final break before the exciting rush of activities that characterise our school in December.
Don Newbury
Elementary Principal
Comments
Post a Comment