Elementary News


• Happy Holidays!

I’m sure that family fun and reunions with friends and loved ones will be a focus for many of you over the next three weeks. (Safe travels to those on the go and good health to everyone!) I hope your holiday brings you great joy and much laughter. It’s been a very strong first half of the school year and your children have all made solid progress. In the Elementary School, we divide our year into equal quarters. The mid-year progress reports will be posted on January 28.

Over the break, games, reading and outdoor fun will be featured in many homes. As I mentioned last week I’d encourage families to bring out board games for those cosy evenings or cold and wet afternoons. In addition to teaching them about teamwork, patience, and how to win and lose gracefully, (something some students struggled with in class this week), the board games can actually benefit kids' brains and language development. 

I’m sure you will also enjoy lots of chatter from your children throughout the holiday. When it comes to conversations from children, I’d encourage parents to use this time as an opportunity to build up articulation and listening skills. For young boys and girls, you might want to insist on the use of complete sentences, and for the older children parents could ask for additional and focused details about a particular experience. After a restful holiday, filled with family fun, I’ll look forward to seeing the students return on Monday, January10. 

Stay safe and have the most wonderful of holidays!

Don Newbury

Elementary Principal


Comments