From the Middle/High School Principal


 Revision Strategies

Some years back I attended a seminar led by a Professor Coe (University of Durham). He said he was often asked to define 'learning'. I still have his response on the wall of my office; 'Learning is what happens when people think hard'. In the session, Professor Coe went on to talk about ways to improve student learning.

At the recent in-service day I was fortunate to be able to attend a workshop led by Professor Kempe (University of Abertay) who talked about effective learning strategies. A common message between the two presentations was that for students to be able to effectively understand, process and recall information they needed to experience challenge. Professor Kempe has already generously been in to support some of our high school students as they prepare for semester exams and I hope the approaches to revision that she shared were taken on board. 

If you would like to find out more about 6 specific strategies that you can use to support your child, the overview video on this page [https://www.learningscientists.org/videos] is excellent.




Comments