Happy New Year!
A torpedo would make a horrible present for a two and a half year old! Unfortunately, that’s exactly what I bought, albeit inadvertently, for my grandson this past holiday. Before Christmas my wife and I went into Hamley's Toy Shop in Union Square. I couldn’t resist purchasing a bath toy featuring Nemo and his father Marlin. The ‘dad’ fish required a battery (AA) to move it’s ‘cool’ looking propeller. The toy was a surprise for my grandson’s bath time that night as he was being left with us while his parents enjoyed a rare night out to see the new ‘Spiderman’ film. Bath time is something my grandson loves; it suits his very playful personality.
When bath time came I was very excited to introduce Nemo and Marlin. Nemo was an instant hit, but when Marlin was turned on with a twist of his body his surprisingly powerful propeller roared and once the fish hit the water he charged into life like a WWII submarine TORPEDO straight at our grandson. Fortunately, we were able to catch Marlin before he made any contact. Unfortunately, the fish still had a big impact. Arthur was terrified and jumped up and attempted to climb out of the bath immediately. I felt terrible and worried I had traumatised him from ever taking another bath!
My wife and I actually had a wonderful family holiday, despite the bath disaster and Arthur did, after two weeks, get over his traumatic experience. (Although, we still have to be very careful of battery operated toys!)
I hope all of our ISA families have had a lovely holiday. Your children have shared many tales of their time off. A random, and incomplete sample of students from each grade demonstrates just how appropriate the I in our ISA name still is. Children shared stories of family visits to: Italy, France, Spain, Qatar, Pakistan, Thailand, Egypt, the Ivory Coast, Canada, America, Mexico, Argentina and Columbia. Throughout the break there must have been a lot of happy grandparents along with family and friends through reuniting, in many cases after over two years apart. Several children reported family members also coming to Aberdeen for visits from Canada, England and Brazil.
In the week after our break the teachers have begun new units of study. A sampling includes:
Kindergarten: Science unit on Material in Our World & Subtraction
First Grade: Space & Instructional Writing
Second Grade: Pebbles, Sand & Silt
Third Grade: Persuasive Writing, Fractions & Winter themed books
Fourth Grade: Governance & Waves
Fifth Grade: Trade & Graphic Novels
Our language and specialist teachers have also started new units of study. I’m sure many students will have gone home, for example, talking about their swimming lessons or the use of perspective in art.
It’s been a very successful return to school in 2022. There is a lovely and positive vibe in the classrooms. Here’s to a happy and healthy New Year!
Don Newbury
Elementary Principal
Comments
Post a Comment