Looking to the future
It was great to see 50 or so parents tune in for our Q&A earlier this week and I hope we were able to answer your questions. Our programme is deliberately planned and structured so that we have a progression of knowledge, skills and approaches to learning. Our students are well prepared for the Diploma Programme and use the experience and qualifications from those final two years to be highly successful in the next stage of their learning journeys.
We are fortunate to have two outstanding counsellors on campus; Mrs DeGraw and Ms Barker. Both are incredibly proactive in terms of supporting a child's well being. Ms Barker, with more of an upper school focus, is also responsible for careers and university planning. She has run a variety of sessions with middle and high school groups to get students to start thinking about where they see themselves a few years from now and help them understand what is needed to reach that goal. This week, Grade 10 students have undertaken a Morrisby test and they will have a follow up interview with a consultant on the results of this test. They have also been attending lunchtime presentations by IB teachers on options for next year.
It is exciting for these young people to reflect on all the possibilities and pathways available to them. Having a vision for the future can help motivate students and I encourage families to talk with their children about how their passions, strengths and interests may lead to a career. These conversations can be difficult since much has changed since many of us entered the world of work. A colleague I used to teach with overseas told me she is now working for the 'Knowledge and Information Manager Communities Org designing training for manager engineers'. I think her role as 'teacher' was easier for me to comprehend. I suppose behind the title, the new role is the same thing.
Comments
Post a Comment