Risk takers
One aspect of the learner profile is 'risk taker' and at ISA we are keen that students take risks with their thinking and approaches to problem solving. However, there are certain risks that we hope our students will give considered and informed thought to before taking.
I am fortunate to live close to the River Dee and a green space. Last Friday was the last day of school for many students across the city, including our own grade 12's With the sun out I noted several groups of young people heading to these open areas. Over the next few weeks and months we are going to see more teenagers socialising and enjoying new found freedoms that have up until now been prohibited by social distancing rules.
Ordinarily there is a gradual and steady exploration about growing up but we face an unprecedented situation where some young people suddenly have significant freedom after two years of restrictions. I worry that some students will have missed some of the earlier stages we expect students to learn from and find themselves in difficulty. This year in particular parents and carers will need to be ready to support young people and offer guidance on moving towards adulthood.
The home-school partnership will be more important than ever and I hope you will reach out to me or our counsellors if you have any questions or concerns.
ibo.org

Comments
Post a Comment