From the Preschool/Elementary School Principal

 

* Note: The images above show some highlights from the International Evening parade.

International Evening

Thursday evening saw the return of a cherished ISA tradition (with a few new twists): the International Evening, with a parade, cultural performances, cultural displays, storytelling, displays of student learning and loads of delicious food from around the world. The evening allows us to come together as a community - a vast array of cultures and nationalities, unified under one roof. The children could hardly contain their excitement, so eager were they to see their friends and show their parents their learning. 

This pride spilled over into the following day, when the children had the chance to visit each other’s classrooms to see the hard work and learning that had taken place in neighbouring classrooms.

“I really liked how you added so much detail in your poster about wind power!”

“I was so impressed by how everything was organised in one place.”

“I learned that Grade 4 students learn a lot in a short amount of time about Japan.”

“I never knew that they grew gardens on highways in Mexico!”

These were just a few of the quotes that I overheard this morning while the Grade 3 and Grade 4 students took each other on tours of their classrooms. When children have the chance to display and explain what they have learned, they get the chance to take on the mantle of the expert. The expressions of pride on the children’s faces as they talked to their partners revealed a deep and genuine sense of accomplishment. This week, more than anything, has been about the value of learning from one another. This can only happen when people approach others (their work, their ideas, their personalities and their cultures) with respect and openness. Even though the International Evening was the shiny showcase for respecting and celebrating diversity, it is these moments of shared learning that reveal the lasting and transformative power of working and learning together.

A huge thank you to everyone who helped to organise this amazing event. I know I speak for our amazing organiser, Natalie Dalziel, when I say it could not have happened without the generous help of so many parents in our community. It was a genuine team effort and we are so grateful for the energy and enthusiasm shown by our wonderful families.


Four-day weekend

Just a quick reminder that there will be no school on Monday or Tuesday next week. The staff and teachers will be back on Tuesday, but the children won’t be back at school until Wednesday, May 3. 


The Lion King Kids (May 11-12)

Another wee reminder that the Grade 3-5 production of The Lion King Kids will be performed on Thursday, May 11 (4:30pm) and Friday, May 12 (6:00pm). Please be on the lookout for information about reserving seats.


Comments