The end of another school year
This is the fifth time I have written the year’s last Thistle Talk post. Schools are divided into clear years, their own time zones, independent of everyone else’s January to December calendar. Not many organisations have these annual ‘ends’, followed two months later by a new start.
It means schools have many goodbyes at the same time. As an international school with many expatriates moving on to new postings we have more than many.
Among staff we will say goodbye to Debbie Strachan who will retire after nearly 25 years of service to ISA as our health and safety officer. Most families would not have met her - she works quietly behind the scenes making sure our trips and events are all safe - but she will be missed among staff. She leaves much appreciated for all her hard work over the years.
Among our teachers, Amy Schneider, Hazel Caunt, Helene Brossard, Kate Smith, Elaine Gibb and Lynne Isenor are all moving on to other posts. I would like to thank them all for their work at ISA.
And of course, Gus Carmichael, our middle/high school principal is leaving after more than 10 years at ISA. Valerie DeGraw in last week’s Thistle Talk summed up many of Gus’s contributions to our school; for me personally, it has been a privilege to work with him these last five years. He has a fierce integrity that means he does not shy away from difficult decisions. He has always maintained a clear focus on the best interests of the students in his care. I am sad to see him go.
There are many end of year events next week. A highlight will be the release of our Education Scotland inspection report on Tuesday, following their March visit to the school. Do look out for it.
Before I wish you well for the summer, I will put in a few final reminders - if you are leaving, please return your library books, chromebooks and anything else you borrowed. If you are staying with us, please make sure you update your contact and medical information on Powerschool over the summer.
I hope you spend lots of quality time with your family this summer and get the chance to relax, either glorying in the Scottish sun or enjoying somewhere further afield.

Comments
Post a Comment