From the Head of School

 Learning to Drive and the ISA Learning Principles


I learnt to drive as an adult; I already had a professional job, owned a house, and had three children.  

My driving instructor, Trevor, was an unusually calm man which was just as well as I was quite nervous about being responsible for a ton of steel at speed in a public place.  I was acutely aware of what failure might look like.

To begin with, Trevor wisely kept me off the public roads.  In a little used car park I learnt to start the car without stalling it,  to move through the gears, and most importantly to use my mirrors.

Only when I had mastered these basic routines was I allowed onto the roads where I had to worry about signs and other traffic. 

After a few more lessons I got complacent and changed lanes without looking or indicating.  It was a quiet road - which is why I had done it, and no harm was done, but it could have been serious.  Trevor asked me to pull over when it was convenient.  He reminded me that I wasn’t merely learning to operate a vehicle but to become a safe driver.  We talked about the early lessons in the carpark and why there had been such an emphasis on looking in mirrors and not just on operating the car. He did not even hint at being upset at me - but I got the message.  

Bit by bit I improved and although I am not a naturally good driver I passed my test; I have driven many thousands of miles since without injuring myself or others.  

I also learnt something about myself as a learner.  

I don’t learn as well if I am tired or hungry or just had a row.  Learning to drive could be nerve racking: when I made a mistake I didn’t need Trevor sighing, rolling his eyes or taking a sharp tone with me.  I appreciated his calm.  I needed to feel secure and supported.  

When I did make a mistake, it helped when Trevor reminded me of what exactly I was learning - to be a safe driver.  And this concept was connected to particular knowledge - eg how to change lanes.  I knew I had to be aware of what was happening around me and other people on the road had to find me predictable. I understood the purpose of the learning and the nature of success.  

When I made a mistake we talked things through. Trevor wasn’t a youtube video, I could process what had happened through two way communication.  Nor did he wait to mock tests until he gave me feedback.  Like with my changing lanes mistake, it was timely and goal directed (being a safe driver).

I had plenty of time to practise basic skills in the carpark before moving on to the road. I was always appropriately challenged.  I didn’t stay in the carpark, but I didn’t move to the road until I was ready.  

Neither Trevor or I had any doubt that one day I would be driving alone.  He may be coaching me but I was responsible for my own learning.  Ultimately I had to act on my own learning.  

When I took my test, I wasn’t given a grade.  It was possible that everyone passed or no-one passed.  Either you were a safe driver or you were not.  Of course, there were better or worse driver, but every driver should reach a certain standard.

At ISA we teach according to certain learning principles.  They are not too different from the conclusions I drew about myself as an adult learner because children and adults aren’t so different when it comes to learning.  As an adult I started to learn a skill that I expected to master; it was irrelevant how I compared to others.  Every child should have the opportunity to learn with that expectation.  








Comments