From the Middle School High School Principal

 Gratitude

One of the most effective interventions for mental health and wellbeing is....

Your mind might go to complex pharmaceuticals, psychoactive cactus rituals with a shaman, expensive boutique rehabs in Nevada, mountain trekking to monasteries in Nepal, Celtic prayer retreats on Iona...

The answer is actually simpler and cheaper.  The practice of daily gratitude has been shown to have outsize long term effects on life quality and things like depression.  Just simply noticing and saying 'thank you' to the universe: for being alive, for being able to see the wind flutter autumn leaves, for that moment someone smiled.


So as we close the half semester, its a good time to say thank you.  There are a million things I could say thank you for - the students' excellent, values driven kindness and inclusion this semester; the incredible speed with which friendships were formed with new students; the outstanding teaching and care in classrooms... but I am going to go for sometime more specific.  

I'd like to call out Phil on reception, who without exception has a smile, reassuring word and a chat for everyone coming into the school.  For a kind and inclusive school - having such a friendly face every morning when I get into work as he is opening up the building, there could not be a better expression of our values.  Thank you Phil!

It's a good time to share gratitudes.  I know teachers always really appreciate when you let them know you value their relationship and work with your child - so don't hold back if you are feeling that way inclined.  But whatever you are thankful for, take a moment to notice and celebrate that.


Comments