From the Head of School

 Decision Making

When I spent my day teaching, I could immediately see the impact of my decisions.  If I asked students to write an essay rather than give a presentation, their reactions were right there in front of me.

Now that I am head of school, there is not the same contact between my decisions and those they impact.  Although my teaching decisions needed professional judgement, and being good at it was challenging, they were straightforward.  I didn’t need to consult various interest groups, they were nothere is a danger that on another level of decision making that you forget the human element, or are not quite so connected to it; that you see it more in terms of technicalities and legislative requirements; compliance and elegant solutions.

This year, in response to those concerns, I have been spending more time with those most affected by my decisions: the students.  This week I had lunch with some Grade 4s.  I asked them  what they most liked about ISA.  MItraav jumped in straight away - “all the sports equipment.  The swimming pool.  I love swimming.”  Mohammad “likes the clubs.  We even started a paper aeroplane club.”  Not everyone likes the same thing: I shouldn’t take for granted the range of opportunities; it is worth working hard to maintain.  Many students like the chance to take the initiative, to try their own things.  

They all talked about their favourite subjects, between them they seemed to cover the full range from maths through art, music and PE to inquiry.  As important as the wider opportunities is the variety in the curriculum. technically complex.

Art - one of many favourite subjects!

Astrid told me “I like that everyone here is really nice” Mia agreed, “The people are so nice” .  Muhra was a bit more specific, “I like my friends.”  Whatever you do, the people you do it make the difference.  Those in authority can have an outsized impact.  Mitraav, Mia and Muhra all mentioned the kindness of their teachers, comparing them favourably with other experiences that they have had.

But it is more than just positive relationships.  Astrid put it most clearly, “I like that this is an inclusive school for everybody - anyone is allowed here.”  Communities work when everyone has a sense of belonging.

When I asked what you liked, it was nice, it was lovely to hear, “everything”  But what specifically, “Specifically everything.”  But there are issues everywhere.  For Mia, it was the temperature of the pool.  Mitraav first thought he wouldn’t change anything, paused and then decided “maybe using the equipment on the astro at break would be good.”

Of course, as a decision maker there can be a danger of hearing what I want to hear; of catching a moment in time with a few voices and making the mistake of thinking them representative.  Of not following up on the hints of wider issues.  

There are always things that can be improved, that fall short of ideal.  Some of these issues - like the balance of the school day - we will start a wider conversation about.  No-one can make decisions that solve every problem, but we can involve more of our communities in a network of care.  



Comments