From the Middle and High School Principal

 

Junk couture, tesselation shoes, and the magic of the MYP

If you had asked me last week what my new shoes had in common with a discarded plastic bottle and a Grade 6 Math lesson, I might have given you a slightly puzzled stare and taken a little while to finally figure it out. But that is the joy, and occasional bewilderment, of the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP). This week, I wanted to share a glimpse into the vibrant, sometimes chaotic, always illuminating world of our Middle School, particularly through the lens of our Grade 6 Interdisciplinary Unit (IDU): Junk Couture that started this week.

For the past week, our Grade 6 hallway has transformed into a bustling design studio; a mad scientist’s lab of recycled materials and a hub of genuine excitement. As I popped into various classes, I was struck by the incredible energy your children bring to their learning. In Math, I found students not just calculating but conceptualising. In Art, they weren't simply sketching but innovating. Music buzzed with creative energy as groups discussed how soundscapes could enhance their "runway" presence, while in Language and Literature, persuasive pitches were being discussed with impressive flair. In Individuals & Societies, discussions were underway about the environmental impact of "fast fashion" and the ethics of consumerism. Did you know that a new sustainable type of leather is made from mushrooms? Neither did I, but they did. Seeing our students so deeply engaged, and collaborating across subjects is precisely why we do what we do at ISA.

One of the highlights of my week was the impromptu tutorial I received in the Math class. I was admiring some intricate geometric designs that Arianna, Niko, and Freya were working on. They were deep in a discussion about tessellations; those interlocking patterns of shapes that fit together perfectly without any gaps. I happened to be wearing a new pair of shoes with a rather modern, textured sole. After discovering they couldn’t see any in my trousers, Arianna explained that my shoe soles are a perfect example of a tessellation, and pointed out how the repeating pattern provided maximum grip. Suddenly, the abstract concept of a plane partition wasn't just a diagram on a whiteboard; it was beneath my feet, explained with such clarity and enthusiasm by three sixth grade students. They weren't just being knowledgeable; they were making real-world connections and helping me to be more open-minded about my own wardrobe choices!

This is the "why" behind the MYP. We don't just teach subjects in isolation because the world doesn't exist in isolation. When students design a garment from bubble wrap and old newspapers, they are being thinkers who must navigate the engineering of the construction, the social ethics of the waste, and the artistic expression of the final piece. We are cultivating inquirers who see the connections between a geometric proof and the tread on a sneaker. This interdisciplinary approach promotes a deeper, more meaningful understanding, preparing them to be the creative problem-solvers the future requires.

To see the culmination of all this risk-taking and creativity, we would like to invite you to our Junk Couture Fashion Show on Wednesday next week at 1:30pm. It promises to be an extraordinary display of our kind and caring community coming together to celebrate student voice and sustainable innovation. Come see how our Grade 6 communicators have turned "junk" into high art. The example I shared was one of many conversations I have been blown away by the Grade 6 students this week. I can personally guarantee that the logic behind their designs is as impressive as the outfits themselves. Thank you for being our partners in this journey. I look forward to seeing many of you enjoying the catwalk!


Comments