From the Middle and High School Principal

Trash talk has never looked and sounded this good!

"Creemos que la moda tiene la responsabilidad de ser sostenible. Al suprarreciclar lo que otros desechan, estamos contando una historia sobre nuestro planeta y nuestro futuro."

If you’ve spent the last week hunting for missing bubble wrap, wondering where the recycling went, or realised your "good" Amazon boxes have mysteriously vanished, I think I’ve found your culprits. On Wednesday, our Grade 6 students officially traded their notebooks for hot glue guns and took to the catwalk!

In a high-energy finale to their eight-day Junk Couture project, they proved that "trash" isn't just something to throw away; it’s a statement piece. This wasn’t just about the runway. It was the result of some serious brainpower across every subject. Students used Science to audit waste, Math to sketch out tessellation patterns, and Arts/I&S to tackle the big questions around sustainability and cultural appreciation. By weaving these threads together, the students moved beyond a simple school project and into real-world problem-solving. As they told the audience: “We believe fashion has a responsibility to be sustainable. By upcycling what others throw away, we are telling a story about our planet and our future.”

The most moving part for me? Their bravery. Watching them stand tall on that stage in front of the whole of middle school and their families was a personal highlight of my year. But what really blew me away was hearing them showcase in multiple languages. They switched between tongues so fluidly that I couldn't help but reflect on my own school experience. I "learnt" French, German, and Latin for a number of years; chopping and changing between them, and graduated with zero confidence in any of them! It took me until adulthood to finally find my footing with Spanish, which was one I picked up in my twenties out of pure interest.

I regularly hear students practising their French and Spanish in our hallways, and steadily building their confidence as independent users, but seeing our youngest Middle Schoolers already outshining my 18-year-old self makes me so proud of how we approach language learning here. At ISA we want our students to be fearless communicators, and on Wednesday, they definitely hit the mark. We are so proud of these Risk-Takers for showing us that when you combine hard work with a conscience, you can literally turn junk into art, and trash talk into something special. It was a spectacular afternoon that highlighted how these students aren't just learning for a grade, they are learning for the world.


Comments